You are Visitor
[ 11/01/04 ]
Users Online: 19
10-inch single layer cake; serves 8
3 medium-size tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 10-inch Pyrex pie pan.
2. Toss the apples in a bowl with the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the cinnamon. Spread the apples evenly in the prepared pan.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook until lightly golden, about 7 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Pour the clear, browned butter into a bowl, leaving any sediment or foam in the pan.
4. Stir the 3/4 cup sugar into the butter. Gently stir in the eggs; stir in the flour until blended. Spoon the batter evenly over the apples and spread into a layer. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
5. Bake until lightly golden and crusty, 40 to 45 minutes.
6. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into wedges and serve from the pan warm or at room temperature, with vanilla ice cream.
New! - Listed within the last 7 Days
Hot! - Rated over 4 Stars
Popular! - More than 100 Hits